Monday, May 16, 2011

The Deer Hunter(s)

Camp Czwalinski


October 2010 brought the yearly trip to Northport, WA.  First I have to thank Gene and Janet Czwalinski.  Gene and Janet have kinda adopted Vince, Dave, and I on our multiple yearly trips to God's country in NE Washington.  When Mikee was younger, she kinda adopted and moved in with them for an afternoon or two while I hunted.  They have been gracious enough to allow us to use their RV pad at Deep Lake the last couple of years.  Very convenient, and the price is right!  Right next to Deep Lake for fishing and not too far from prime hunting spots.  Yes, 50 amp electrical service, water, and septic.  Earlier in the fall, Gene and Janet had departed for the winter to Utah.  A few days later they got a call telling them that their home on Deep Lake-Boundary Road had burned to the ground.  Thank God they had already left.  We visited the homesite on our arrival.  Very sad that their beautiful place was gone.

Post Fire
However, they are rebuilding, what I'm sure will be another beautiful home.  Anyways, thanks to Gene and Janet!

Beautiful fishing weather
Limit of fall trout















We started with a little fishing.  For some reason, I was the star, catching my limit, and my family's dislike in one morning.  I think everyone else caught something, but I had a really good day at the dock.

Lying in wait
Afternoons and evening were spent at Helen & Merry's farm, looking for elusive white tail bucks.   This fall they weren't too hard to find.

Mikee had a nice 6 point walk across the field in front of her.  Unfortunately, she got a case of buck fever, and couldn't quite get the scope to settle on it.  She just decided she couldn't press the trigger being so unsteady.  It was ok, as we got to watch it for several minutes.  Jana took a shot at a beautiful buck that she said was a 9 or 10 pointer.  Later in the fall, when I was with the guys, I saw what was probably the same buck.  It was a big boy.  Anyway, we found no sign that she had actually hit it, and I retrained her in supported vs. off-handed shooting.  Maybe next time!

No comments: